Total Pageviews

Friday, March 25, 2011

Cabin Living North of Seven - Spring -1

Well, we have successfully outwitted, outplayed and outlasted  our first winter up here. We are Survivors!!!
 The calendar says it's now spring. The landscape however, refuses to conform and  snow still lingers in the woods and ice continues to cover the lakes for the most part. However, the smaller streams and rivers are opening up. I haven't personally seen a robin yet but I have seen roadkill. There's been a couple of unfortunate incidents with raccoons on the highway and that is surely evidence of spring.

The whine of the snow machines on the trail has finally been silenced.  When I walk through the woods the bottom of the trees have puddles of earth showing through and here and there I see a blade of grass struggling to overcome it's frosty chains.

Springtime here in the hardwoods is also witness to the annual tradition of tapping the maples for maple syrup. We have good maple syrup weather right now, sunny days and cold, frosty nights. Although this is something I would like to take a stab at I think we will perhaps wait until next spring.

The honking of Canada geese as they fly in the familiar "V" pattern is the true herald of spring; and the closest to my heart. While walking the trail I heard the sound that never fails to make the hair on the back of my neck stand up in excitement. Probably a mile high in the sky flying north were probably close to fifteen hundred Canada geese heading north. I heard them long before I saw them. The geese move slowly northward following the advancing line of melting snow.

I look forward to the first roaring bonfire in the fire pit with my kids and friends to share it with. Aahh I can't wait for summer but I would not give up this wonderful reawakening of the earth that we call spring!


1 comment:

  1. wonderful post my talented friend! i think it's funny how I too associate the coming of spring when i see red winged black birds, robins or sadly roadkill. i have seen a couple of mishap's with raccoons too.
    i'm anxious to get out of the city to experience the new season. snow melts too quickly in town and the buds come to quickly as well with the concrete heating things up. i like the slower pace of spring in the country.

    ReplyDelete